Healthy eating is not only a great thing to do for your body and mind, but focusing on healthy options can also open up an exciting array of possibilities with your food. For example, many nutritionists recommend eating small, healthy snacks every few hours rather than fasting between meals. The trick is to make healthy choices when it comes to selecting snacks.
A grocery store is a great place to find healthy snacks in Alexandria, IN. Grocery stores have many more healthy options than small convenience stores. In general, one way to keep healthy without too much effort is to stay away from aisles full of packaged snacks. While some products may tout their health benefits, this is often in comparison to similar options, and rarely will these items actually be healthier than unprocessed foods.
Healthy snack ideas
Here are some healthy snack ideas to get your brain and taste buds excited about snacking throughout the day without getting out of shape:
- Nuts: Whether you like mixed nuts or a specific kind like almonds or walnuts, this is one of the best healthy snack options you can treat yourself to. This snack is packed with healthy fat, protein and fiber, so it doesn’t take a lot to fight off mid-day hunger pangs. Raw or simply roasted nuts are the best option here, as there can be unexpectedly high levels of sodium and sugar in some pre-packaged products.
- Guacamole: Who doesn’t love guacamole? And the best thing about it can be the health benefits. Avocados are high in good fats, and this snack will fill you up quickly.
- Hummus: Another great dippable snack is hummus. It’s low in fat, low in sugar, low in sodium and is made from garbanzo beans, tahini (sesame paste) and olive oil, each of which has many health benefits.
- Red bell pepper: For dipping into the aforementioned snacks, red bell pepper is a tasty and vitamin-packed option. The natural sweetness will help stave off any sugar cravings without leading to an energy crash later.
- Carrots: Another great option for dipping is baby carrots. They are just the right size, give a satisfying crunch and are a much healthier option than any kind of chips.
- Greek yogurt and berries: Berries provide antioxidants and a host of vitamins—a colorful variety will give you the most vitamins. Any kind of berry goes well with yogurt, and Greek yogurt is a healthy step up from regular yogurt due to its high levels of protein and calcium.
- Apples and peanut butter: Peanut butter isn’t the healthiest thing in the world, but it’s certainly healthier than a candy bar. Try it on some apple slices for a sweet kick—it’s not just for kids anymore!
When you’re looking for the best quality and selection in a grocery store in Alexandria, IN, visit Horner’s Midtown Market (or use the store’s new online ordering and delivery service) to find everything you need. We look forward to helping you make snack time a healthy time!