Keeping your heart healthy is extremely important, as a good heart helps ensure a long and healthy life. Great ways of taking care of your heart include routine exercise and a good diet. It’s also a great idea to add some superfoods to your diet for even better heart health. Examples of superfoods that help facilitate heart health include beets, tofu, pumpkin seeds and much more.
Read on for plenty of superfoods that you could easily add to your diet to increase heart health. You can easily find these superfoods on the grocery store shelves at Horner’s Midtown Market in Alexandria, IN. We even offer grocery delivery service for your convenience!
- Tofu: Used in many vegetarian dishes, tofu is an excellent addition to almost any meal. Since it has a basic flavor, you can season and cook tofu in a way to mimic almost any kind of meat. Tofu is much better for you than many types of meat thanks to it being a great source of plant protein. It also contains several amino acids, as well as zinc, magnesium and other essential nutrients.
- Beets: Beets are a delicious root vegetable that goes great in many recipes, including salads, soups, meat dishes and more. They also help keep your blood vessels dilated, thanks to their heavy nitrate content. This makes beets extremely beneficial to most people with high blood pressure. Beets are also low in calories and have been known to help fight inflammation.
- Oatmeal: A popular breakfast food, oatmeal is an excellent source of fiber, protein and other nutrients. You could easily make an entire meal out of oatmeal by adding some healthy fruits. Oatmeal is known to help lower cholesterol and features plenty of essential vitamins, including vitamin B1 and vitamin B5.
- Pumpkin seeds: If you suffer from high blood pressure, consider adding pumpkin seeds to your diet. These delicious, nutty treats are high in fiber and can help lower your blood sugar levels. They are also rich in many different nutrients, including magnesium, protein, zinc, iron and more. Adding pumpkin seeds to your diet is simple—you could use them as a crust for lean meat dishes or include them in your granola mix. Pumpkin seeds are also great in bread and salads.
- Salmon: Salmon is one of the healthiest meats out there for your heart. This delicious pink fish is full of omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to help decrease your chances of heart disease. Other essential nutrients featured in salmon include B vitamins, potassium, protein and more. One of the best things about salmon is that it’s delicious and versatile. You could bake it, fry it or grill it. The salmon will turn out great every time as long as it’s cooked and seasoned correctly.
All these superfoods are great for your heart, but it’s also important that you practice proper overall diet and exercise. If you’re ready to add some of these superfoods to your diet, pick them up on your next trip to the grocery store. Visit Horner’s Midtown Market for the best prices in Alexandria, IN!